Saturday, May 17, 2008

Who typically buys a log home?

I've been discussing a foray into becoming a log home dealer because I have such a passion for these type of homes. To me, it represents a return to nature and a simplistic lifestyle. My friends and family have seen the pictures and/or visited and they do think it's beautiful and admire the craftsmanship. One of my friends asked me last week "well who buys a log home?" As of 2006, there were more than 500,000 log homes in the United States. I did some additional research and found out that there are two growing groups that purchases these type of homes - baby boomers (not me) and nature lovers (now that's me and Greg!) To me it makes sense, the baby boomers have already saved their money for retirement and look to these homes either as a second home or a permanent residence. They can entertain their kids and grandkids as well as outfit these homes with the latest conveniences. The nature lovers can appreciate what the log home represents and perhaps (and I'm just guessing here from my own experience) it exemplifies a path towards "green living" and becomes the center of their outdoor recreation and nature activities. I had contacted the Log Home Council - www.loghomes.org and it's been about 4 years since they have put out any detailed log home statistical reports - but they did confirm the "baby boomer" and "nature lover" profile. They usually put out a report in conjunction with Log Home Living magazine. They couldn't confirm when the next report would come out but I would personally hope it became an annual one as this seems to be a growing industry.

11 comments:

reliv4life said...

I am not a baby boomer, and although I love camping and being outdoors...am I a nature lover? I am not sure. I think we built a log home, because we wanted to experience something from a simpler time. A time when people felled their own logs and built a home for their family. I feel in some small way like a pioneer I suppose. It just feels homey and warm and like we can go back in a small way to when things of life were less complex... I guess it is almost like an escape for me? Not sure...but you got me thinking anyway!

Shelley said...

Reliv - you bring up a good point about a "return to the simple life" - that was a big motivator for us in having a log cabin too.

Wendy said...

With you all the way on the return to nature and the simpler lifestyle. That was definitely a major factor in us moving to where we did. It was something we had both wanted for a very long time, and finally decided to go for it. The log home itself was incidental, but suits us well.

Jen said...

I just found your blog and it's awesome!! I will have to come back and read more! We built our log home in 1998, we are in KY. I have just started to add pictures and info about our home to my blog. We built our log home to get away from paint and wallpaper and shiny things, and to have a place to hang deer, turkey and antelope mounts. LOL

Shelley said...

J. Robin - A simpler lifestyle in a beautiful log home is the perfect setting~!

Jen - welcome to my blog! I enjoyed yours as well! I laughed about the "shiny" things - yep - no shiny things in my cabin!

Kelly said...

i think, more than anything, i love log homes because of the yummy wood smell inside!

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

We made the move to Log Home living 13 years ago this month and love our home !!! With this move also came the business side of log homes and we also enjoy that so if you want to talk sometime call/ email me : )

sandy said...

Log home dealer...sounds fantastic if you go in that direction.

I have ALWAYS wanted one. I am a baby boomer and nature lover, so there you have it! We did buy a cabin five years ago but it looked more like a cottage (within our price range) and then we sold three years later because of horrible devastation from bark beetle and fires in the area (not the cabin though). I think for us it was a good choice but I miss it.

Shelley said...

Keri - you're right about the smell of wood!

Chris - I will definitely email you w/ questions - thanks!

Sandy - you're the perfect combo!

Chris said...

OK so I was sitting down to look over the latest Log Home Living Magazine and on their page called " Mailbox" I see something about Blogs about Logs and stop and read and look at the pictures : ) So there you are Shelly you made the magazine!!!!
Cool it is always fun to see someone I know how cool is that : )