We choose Gaylord, MI because of the many recreational opportunities (fishing, hiking, birding, skiing, golfing, snowmobiling) and simply because it made us feel like we were truly "Up North" with all its beautiful scenery.
Gaylord is located north of Grayling in Otsego County. Some information and things to do in Gaylord:
- ALPINE VILLAGE - Downtown Gaylord has an Alpine Motif which they adopted in the 1960's. There are many great specialty shops - clothing, chocolate, beads, home decor, quilts, birdhouses, sporting equipment and so on. Check out Mossback Creek Company - I buy something every time I go there. In July, Downtown Gaylord has the Alpen Festival with people dressed in Swiss costumes, arts & crafts and a carnival.
- GOLF - Gaylord is known as the Golf Mecca in Michigan with over 20 championship golf courses - some of which have won many awards from golf magazines. They have so many courses to choose from - no matter the level of your playing. I am not so good - my personal favorite is Marsh Ridge with it's beautiful wooded setting and the fact I'm not so far away from the hole! Visit http://www.gaylordgolfmecca.com/ .
- SKIING - Gaylord has 2 local ski resorts - Otsego Club and Tree Tops. Boyne Mountain is approximately a 30 minute drive.
- SNOWMOBILING - Gaylord is recognized as a snowmobile mecca as well! They have over 300 miles of groomed snowmobile trails. To check trail conditions and obtain a trail map visit http://www.gaylordmichigan.net/ .
- FISHING - Great fishing opportunities in Gaylord. Otsego lake is stocked with Walleye by the DNR. Other lakes for consideration include Big Lake, Big Bass Lake, Big Bear Lake and Bradford Lake (my husband's favorite.) Ice fishing is also quite popular here!
- ELK VIEWING - Pigeon River State Forest (105,000 Acres) hosts the Midwest's only free ranging elk herd. It's also a great place to go hiking.