Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cabin Cooking
















No Stove yet. I hope to remedy that this weekend. Last weekend 3 local (by local - I mean the town my cabin is in) appliance stores were doing "inventory" - so the selection was not the best. Did they call each other and pick that weekend? And all that's left is the $1000 stove? Well I foiled their conspiracy and told them I would wait. We did think about buying a stove downstate and driving it up - but the weather has been iffy and Greg's back is not the best for heavy lifting. Anyways, wish me luck and I leave you with this recipe my mom gave me today - perfect for cooking at the Log Cabin!

Wildberry Crisp
  • 5 cups fresh mixed berries
  • 4 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup cold butter, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts

Place fruit in 2 quart baking dish and stir in white sugar. Topping: in medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake at 375 degrees 30-35 minutes until top is golden brown. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds yummy. That's my kind of desert. Good luck with your stove.

Wendy said...

I will make this and daydream of baking it in one of the double ovens of my Viking range in the newly remodeled kitchen of my fantasies. Meanwhile, back at the Amana...

TJ said...

I've been following the progress on your log cabin and it's beautiful! The recipe sounds delicious and I'll be sure to try it!

sandy said...

Yummy, both the kitchen and the apple crisp recipe, well I'm assuming it is yummy. Maybe one of these days I'll actually bake again. Problem is I eat it, I eat it all...

hope you get that stove soon.