Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Guests at the Log Cabin - Part II

A previous topic that popped up on the log home forum I belonged to was having guests at your log cabin / log home and how to handle all the people that want to come and expect it to be a hotel. This was also discussed on the Cottage Life forum in which members described funny and not so funny things that their guests did. I believe (as in any good relationship) that communication is the key. Let them know about all the special things about your cabin/cottage/home - for example if your septic system is "sensitive" or your shower is heated by a propane tank so taking hour long showers wouldn't be appreciated. And I think you already have a sense about your circle of friends and family and what you can expect.

As I mentioned before, one of the things Greg and I looked forward to most was hosting friends and family at our log home. Here are some things I have done hopefully to make them feel welcome and comfortable:


I picked up this Cape Shore guest book at a gift shop. We have guests sign their names and recount what their favorite moments were, what the weather was, etc. It's fun to read their comments afterwards!










The book states:
"Dear Guests,
We hope you enjoy your stay. Please feel free to share your thought, favorite adventures and wonderful things you did during your visit.
We've also included an envelope in the back for special mementos to share with others."







Hopefully I've made this into a comfy & cozy guest room! I have a basket in the closet filled with towels they might need.












I love putting up this free "educational" print I picked up at Hartwick Pines State Park. I think guests like to know about the area they are staying in.












When I go to hotels, I always save the shampoos, mouthwash and conditioners I didn't use and have them in a box for guests who might have forgotten some toiletries.












I have these moose napkins for guests to dry their hands. I don't like sharing a grubby towel with numerous people - no offense!












And of course the all important scented bathroom spray. Sometimes a bathroom fan just doesn't work.....

(P.S. Yes - I'm beginning to notice a theme here, I'm very concerned about my guest's hygiene. Ha!)





Is there anything you like to do for your guests when they visit? Please share!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelley:

I am so pleased to see that you have prepared our room for our visit. Everything looks great and we won't even need to bring toothpaste :-)

I think you've done a great job of letting your guests know this is a cozy home... NOT the Hilton!

reliv4life said...

Looks like you have covered everything!! Hygienic - YES!! :) I have never thought that much about guests I suppose. We just always enjoy each other and have fun. I have always felt like this house was given to me by God, so it is really His house that He allows me to stay in...so, it is basically open to anyone that wants a place to stay.

Cliff said...

I feel comfortable and I'm not even there. I feel good for your guests.

Shelley said...

Tom - why thank you! I might even let you bring that big beautiful dog of yours!!

Reliv / Michele - You're probably a better host than me! :-)

74 - Thank you - glad I'm on the right track!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Shelley,
I have a basket filled with brochures of things to do in the area in the guest room. I put fresh flowers in the guest room and guest bath too.
Hugs,
Penny

Catherine Holman said...

I love the guest book for comments. Your home is so comfy and it looks like you've thought of everything.
Cathie

Constance said...

We don't have our cabin yet but since we have lived away from home our entire married life, we certainly get guests! My best friend has her very own iced tea glass in my cabinet! Ha Ha! It's one of those inside joke kind of things!

We've never had the luxury of a guest room since we've had a houseful with just our own family! When we build the cabin, we'll finally have a guest room. You've already done all of the things I thought about except for a small pitcher for water and a drinking glasses.

I like "Cape Shore!" I have used their note cards and I have 2 moose mugs hanging in the kitchen on hooks.

Connie

PS
Good thing you're not closer to Texas, I would have to wrangle myself an invite! Ha Ha!

Jen said...

No wonder you get great gifts from your company. ha ha!

sandy said...

YOur place looks so inviting. I love the guest book idea. Great post.