Wednesday, June 4, 2008

22nd Annual Log Cabin Day in Michigan

I just found out about Michigan having the only statewide log cabin festival every year on the last Sunday of June. This year it falls on June 29th. There are festivals, tours and open houses. The Log Cabin Society of Michigan sponsors this event and is responsible for discovering, preserving and promoting log cabins in Michigan. For only $1, they provide you with a map that has 100 log cabins on it available for touring or drive-bys. A handful of these log cabins were built before 1840. There is a mixture of historic and new log cabins on their list across the state. I am hoping to coordinate my schedule to see a few of these. How great would that be to step back in time!
If you live in Michigan, chances are that there is a log cabin on this list that's within driving distance. Here is the link: http://www.qtm.net/logcabincrafts/brochure.htm

5 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks for the info. Scrolling through the list I realized that I have actually been to about a dozen of them already, some within the past two weeks (i.e. the Drayton Plains ones in Waterford). It is something that I need to talk over with my hubby and possibly do for our adventure for that week.

Wendy said...

Now that would be something to see. Log cabins are popular enough here, but there's not that many of them!

Jessica said...

There are many of these homes right in my area. Alot of them are where I grew up so I know the areas well. I'm going to print out the list and someday when I want to go for a drive in the country I just might look for some. Thanks for sharing this!

Shelley said...

Christy - I was surprised once i saw the list that I had forgotten about Greenfield Village in Dearborn - right in my backyard!

Jennifer - I didn't realize how many historical cabins were right under my nose nearby to me.

Jessica - Hope you get to check out the cabins!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks a tonne for sharing this wonderful log cabin information...