Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Log Home we almost bought...






















When Greg & I were contemplating our log home choices, I had seen a classified ad for this newly constructed log home for sale in Hillman, Michigan (pictured above). It was a half-log home on a small lake. It had many elements that we wanted - a stone fireplace, a walk-out basement, woodsy setting and almost in our budget. Also, it was ready to go - we wouldn't have to wait for construction. Then while we were touring the home - we kept hearing the neighbor's dog howl (and by howl, I mean it sounded like someone was strangling him.) And this howling continued on and on and on. At one point I asked the builder of the log home, should we go done there to check on that dog and he informed me that it was a young dog and it was just howling because the owners had stepped out. Hmm...this was not going to bode well for my vision of having a log home in a QUIET wooded setting. I'm an animal lover and I know dogs bark...but then I started having wild visions of these people always leaving their dog behind to howl incessantly. Next I started looking around the home, it was beautiful, but it was not a full log. The lake seemed a little too small. And then Hillman seemed too far away from the outdoor activities we liked to participate in. This wasn't looking good. But wait - we had our vacant lot we owned up in Gaylord. The neighbors were quiet and friendly, the lot next to us not buildable, the lake was a little bigger and good for fishing and swimming. Yep, we'll build our own. I think that dog howling snapped me to reality and made us confirm our decision to build our own log home and put our personal touches on it. So back to present day - we're very happy with our decision. But I haven't told you yet about my neighbor down the street who has a goat named Sugar...

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Pretty house and location. Too bad it had so much going against it. The dog thing is very annoying, isn't it?

sandy said...

Yes, what a pretty house but agree about that dog, who would WANT that...no way. And.. now you have the satisfaction of building exactly how you want it.